Tour Championship snooker is set to go ahead behind closed doors today, despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic causing most other events to be suspended.
This week’s event is due to take place in Llandudno and was previously expected to take place in fans present but after new advice from the government on Monday, the decision was taken to go ahead with the games behind closed doors.
In a statement, World Snooker said: “Following today’s advice from the UK Government, there will be no access for fans at this week’s Coral Tour Championship.
“At 5pm today the government advised the public to avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues. We have reacted to this advice with the decision to close the doors at Venue Cymru in Llandudno to all fans.
“We realise this will be disappointing to fans but we must act according to the latest government advice.”
Speaking on Sunday, veteran snooker and darts promoter Barry Hearn insisted that he will try and keep those sports playing for as long possible.
“I’m fire-fighting on a daily basis,” he told the Sun. “The danger is you destroy the whole infrastructure of sport. The knock-on effects for society are disastrous.
“While I want everyone to be healthy, I do understand people have to go to work and earn their living. I am mindful we are responsible for the livelihoods of thousands of sportspeople around the world.
“That’s something I have to look at when I make decisions about behind closed doors or cancelling.
“This is not the rainy-day fund — this is a disaster day.
“We want to continue to provide entertainment and provide a livelihood for our players. Our primary objective is to keep the show on the road, provided people’s health is not at risk.
“We won’t be making any knee-jerk decisions, but there is a lot you can do with darts, snooker, ping pong and fishing.”
This post appeared first on Daily Star - Snooker.